This is a great overall exercise for the lower body that uses dumbbells instead of a barbell. Beginners may find this version easier to perform.
- Grasp a dumbbell in each hand.
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart with your knees and toes pointed slightly outward.
- Drawing your abs in descend slowly by bending at the knees and hips as if you are sitting down (squatting).
- Lower yourself as far as you can control without letting your body shift towards your toes (this will cause you to loose balance).
- Pause in the downward position and slowly return upright to the starting position.
Note: Practicing the squat without any weight will allow you to become comfortable with the movements.
Exercise images by Everkinetic.